Sunday, June 15, 2008

A poster to make me think

Having grown up watching my mother glued to the television set to watch Senator McCarthy save us from Communism, or counter spy Philbrick in the TV series, I lead Three Lives, having been expected to take a loyalty oath if I wanted to teach (I mouthed Twinkle, twinkle little star because we took the oath as a group and I knew it was meaningless), I don't know if I am amused or saddened when I see the legal French Communist Party put up posters asking people to rejoin for today and tomorrow.

I often wonder what the Communists could have accomplished if they weren't embroiled in the Cold War.

A former editor asked me if I were a Communist as we talked about co-operative principles. I am a democrat small d though and through. I am not a capitalist with its winner take all no matter what principles, if the word principle could be applied. More and more democracy seems to be confused with capitalism.

Co-operatives work far more democratically and involve people far more equally.

No comments: