Saturday, May 31, 2008

Six Random Things about a repat

Taking up the trend from Mighty Mom and Earth to Danie http://earthtodanie.blogspot.com/by being tagged only indirectly...here are six things about my life living away from my natal country where I feel like a total alien whenever I have to go there. It is not something I would ever do if people I loved didn't live there.

1. I am no longer an expat, but a repat having fought for and won Swiss nationality. I believe in this country as a democracy because we vote on issues like whether to buy airplanes for the air force, the age of retirement, how much to give kids as the government allowance, etc. I take this very seriously because it marks the high quality of life we have here. I don't always agree with the results, but at least the decisions were made by the people more than the politicans.

2. Learning French was the hardest thing I ever did intellectually, and like Mighty Mom I much prefer speaking in person then on the telephone. However, every time I finish a French book or have a day of just French conversation (even with my bad accent and unique grammar) I feel a sense of pride of reaching beyond my limitations.

3. In Switzerland I found my voice as a writer with the Geneva Writers Group. Their support and encouragement pushed me to continue when discouraged. I am glad Susan Tiberghien, the founder of the GWG exists. I also have been able to share with other writers in away that once was only fantasy.

4. I share the late Utah Phillip's belief in "making a living not a killing" and that money and things are not important other than to allow the freedom of choice. I need no money to walk by my beloved Lake Geneva or enjoy the flowers. To buy farm fresh vegetables, to not have to have a car, to look at the snow-covered mountains, to live in the slow lane, to know and be friends with people of so many nationalities from all the continents, is truly a gift.

5. I don't really feel as if I am in Switzerland until I leave Geneva because of the high percentage (around 47%) of internationals. Yet I relish the time I spent in two Swiss villages Payerne in Vaud and Môtiers in Neuchâtel. I would find it boring to be around just one nationality and one language now. Most events I go to are multi-lingual with English, French, German being the most common mutual languages although Czech, Dutch, Spanish, Arabic are also sometimes in the mix.

6. I wake up every day and feel blessed that I have been allowed to live this life as a writer in two places I love (Geneva and Argelés-sur-mer), have a daughter I adore, friends that warm my heart and soul, and the good sense to realise how incredibly lucky I am.

I am not tagging anyone, but if any expat who reads this wants to pick up the thread, please do.

5 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Bravo! I didn't want you to feel compelled, but I'm glad you did it.
It is quite a step to repat, to be willing to commit oneself to shaping the future of one's adopted home. Again, Bravo!

Unknown said...

Thanks for playing! I'm enjoying the posts written by the tagged of my tagged.

Sue Guiney said...

This is really a terrific and important post. I wrote a bit on this subject on my blog when I was thinking about the difference between an expat and an immigrant. After growing up in the States, I have chosen to make my life in Britain and have found a community here that has nurtured and supported me throughout my life -- both professionally and personally. But, oh, I wish I could speak French all the time! I speak it a bit but not nearly enough! How wonderful that you have so clearly embraced both who you are and where you are. It's amazing and sad how many people have trouble doing that. Thanks.

GHCH said...

I have huge hands and am therefore constantly hitting two or more keys. But "H" is so far from "E" and "A" how come it found itself in the middle of Lac Léman?

I enjoyed your post. I too am a new Swiss and have lived in this paradise for over 40 years.

Graham

DL NELSON said...

Left over from living on François Lehmann and not prooding.