Thursday, May 29, 2008

Falling off the no buy wagon


May as a no buy month was full of temptations and I fell off the no buy wagon three times, twice on the same day.

The first was for a lettuce dryer that I have been wanting for a long time, but not enough to actually step into a store to look for one. I found it at the vide grenier for 1 Euro.

The copper pan was also at the vide grenier. All my pans are copper, bought from an antique dealer, then sent one by one with friends to Damascus to have them tin lined. This one was already tin lined and cost 5 Euros. I saw it in the morning and decided if it were still there at the end of the day I would buy it. It was, I did.

The third was the rug for my bathroom. The one I had I bought my first weekend in Switzerland for the flat in Môtiers in 1990. The colour was perfect to go with the green leaves in the tiles holding my mirror. However, 18 years of use left it tattered at best. I had been checking for a chocolate rug whenever I was near a place that sold bathroom rugs. I did find one two years ago, measured wrong (I can do celsius easily, but metres still confuse me) and ended up with a rug large enough to cover my living room, which I didn’t want. I gave it to the lovely couple who gave me my table set. Thus when walking through Co-op, a short cut to the sushi restaurant, I saw this rug. I grabbed it. My housemate agreed the colours would be perfect. I did say I would replace things and one bathroom rug every 18 years is not extravagant even at 39 CHF. And it will save me being on the prowl for a rug next year.

No comments: