Monday, March 31, 2008

Another no buy month


Another no buy month (material stuff) has come and gone and no big temptations like the Mercedes last month, which every time I think of having to do stuff with the car such as park it or fill it up or go hunt for insurance and all those time consuming stuff, I am grateful. Tomorrow when I go to Geneva all I have to do is walk four minutes and get on the train, where I will settle down with a good book for a fraction of the cost driving back would cost. And who knows what interesting people I will talk with????

But back to this month’s no buy topic…I did find I needed to buy a few gifts but I bought consumables such as wine and soap from the soap place which has such original designs and perfumes that the receivers will never be able to duplicate. And I have supported local small business.

Now my big purchase…

My string mop was almost 15 years old and it broke…So I went to A DIX BALL and paid 2 Euros and was able to get one with a red handle to match my broom. I could have bought one that had to have covers or new sponges replaced regularly (all these products I think of as marketing tricks to keep you buying more and more)

I have discovered my no-buy year means I have a lot less trash from wrapping BUT, I still have mail and writing paper. Instead of having my paper recycling filling up every couple of days it a week or more.

And with the purchase of this mop, I suspect I have completed my mop buying chores for the rest of my life. Not bad for 2 Euros.

Now the question do I feel deprived yet???? Not at all.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hate to break it to you, lady, but there's a pretty high likelihood that you'll make it through the lifespan of yet another mop.

Assuming you do, I'm buying!