Saturday, January 26, 2008

Gus comes a callin'


For three years I thought his name was Goose, based on everyone’s pronunciation. It’s Gus like Gus Gus the mouse in Disney’s Cinderella.
He belongs to a neighbour, and is a friend to the house’s cat, Munchkin.

I only learned the correct pronunciation last November, after I wrote to my housemate telling of his great agitation after he witnessed Munchkin’s accident. It took a while for her to figure out Goose and Gus were the same.
Gus is shown here having climbed a tree to sit on the roof over the entryway and peeking in my bedroom window. He knows a recovered Munchkin sleeps on my bed and I am sure he is asking her to come out and play. Truly a Peeping Tom.

1 comment:

GHCH said...

In Switzerland, gugus comes form the baby's game of "gugus dada" or "now-you-see-me, now-you-don't" which is rather cat like. Where as gugus in France, as used in "faire le gugus" means to act the clown - which is unlike a cat.
In your continuing search for jolly obituaries I don't think you'll ever get a better one than British comedian Spike Milligan whose tombstone reads "I told you I was ill".