Friday, October 05, 2007

LWB 4 Masks

M Arnel who creates these masks lived on this land from the time he was a child. He is a true Catalan and even teaches the traditional Sardan dance.

Years ago my girlfriend and I were walking by on our way to the beach.. She wanted to take a photo with her new camera, an early digital model. He was outside, and I asked permission.
Hel took us back into his workroom and was delighted to show us how he made the cement masks, the molds, the cement frogs and ladybugs.

We heard a screaming and thinking his wife was angry at him for bringing strangers in, we started to leave. Instead of introducing us to a shrewish Catalonian woman, he introduced us to his parrot, the shrieker.

In the ongoing conversation he confessed how much he disliked the development. My friend and I exchanged glances.

Only when we were on our way back to the beach, did we share our mutual fantasy: M Arnel was not a nice old man, but a crazed killer seeking revenge on the developers by killing the builders and preserving their faces in cement ala Stephen King.

I have met M Arnel since, but I can never tell him of this fantasy, for everyone in town calls him a nice old man.

No comments: