Thursday, September 20, 2007

Several I Love Lucy Moments

Why is a bottle of laundry detergent upside down in my sink? It was one in a series of I Love Lucy Moments, where stupid moves spiral out of control.

Normally when I put on a wash I leave the soap bottle on the counter. Then if I get involved in writing or go out, it is a reminder that there’s a load of wash in the dryer.
Now for some reason (Stupid move No. 1), this morning, I put it on top of the stove, which in itself wouldn’t have been so bad, had the burner not been still warm from my morning tea.
The odor of melting plastic laundry detergent bottle will never replace the smell of breakfast bacon. I grabbed the bottle and put it on the counter (Stupid move No 2.) and as I scraped the warm plastic from the stove the contents of the almost new bottle ran from the melted hole down the counter top and onto the floor. It seemed as if three times the liquid that was in the bottle seeped all over the tiles, although the blue colour was pretty.

Trying to save at least some of the soap, I put the bottle upside down in the sink ONLY to knock the top off (Stupid move No. 3) and watch the rest dribble down the drain.
Once the plastic had been removed from the stove top, I turned my attention to the blue soap that covered the floor. The sponge I used was too ineffective on the gluey liquid. Finally I took two bath sheets and let them soak up the soap.

Fortunately I didn’t commit fourth I Love Lucy moment. I was just about to throw one of the towels in the washer, when I realised that if I did, the amount of soap in the towel was equal to at least 100 washes. I imagined opening the washer door and being attacked by the suds that ate Argelès. Instead I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed the towel until the water ran only light-light-light blue rather than the original dark aqua.
I know Lucy had red hair. I have red hair. This morning's activity is enough to make me grow mine out gray or not.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

We all have days like these. I've put the electric kettle on the stove top to boil...twice!