Friday, September 14, 2007

Flags of fear

Watching the people constantly wave tiny American flags behind John McCain as he talked to Larry King last night and commented on the president’s speech, I felt both sadness and fear. Sadness at their blind patriotism and the fear I feel whenever I see an American flag.

I wonder

  • What will be the next sovereign nation we will attack?
  • How many more people will America kill?
  • How many more will we tortured?
  • How many armaments will we sell so others can kill and maim?
  • How many more treaties will we not sign that might make the world more peaceful?
  • How many more of our own citizens be denied the benefits other countries take for granted?
  • How many more directives will go up on the White House web site like the one on May 17th that all but promised martial law in case of another attack or natural disasters or those in July threatening to confiscate property and wealth of anyone helping certain groups with the muddy definition of helping.

When I was a teenager in Rainbow, I asked for the speaking part of Patriotism, purple in the bow. I loved the speech, the pride I felt in not only my country, but talking about it.

Now I only feel fear for those there that they will lose the little they have along with the loss of habeas corpus, freedom of speech, health insurance, decent jobs.

I predicted the dot.com and mortgage bubbles bursting. I predicted the disaster Iraq would be become. I only hope I am wrong now that the country will continue down its path of war criminality against other countries and its own citizens.

So I looked at those tiny waving flags, seeing only more spin, and again fear and sadness swept over me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are NOT the only American who feels this way. But why no sincere RAGE? Too busy becoming poor and silenced by ....? Well perhaps ALL the students who read Animal Farm in high school should re-read it. Why not? They are NOW living it! The "pigs" have won ..... again!