Saturday, August 11, 2007

On rain and floods

The waters are receding after the floods. I only read about one death. Our house, despite being near the lake, wasn’t that near and the banks were high enough, but both my housemate and I say we never remember the rivers and the lake being so full. The equivalent rainfall for a month landed in three days. Much of the flooding was from streams and backed up drains, water filling basements, etc.


Temperatures plummeted.

I did suggest to my daughter who was sweltering in D.C. that if she could send me 25° we would both be living at a comfortable 75°. Meanwhile I gave in and pulled out my warm winter slippers, wrote away as the drumbeat of the water hitting the roof pounded away.

I have only been in one flood at Fort Knox Kentucky when I was visiting friends who were living in a caravan as they sold merchandise on base. We woke up in the morning to find water about a foot into the van. One was enough.

No comments: