Saturday, July 21, 2007

Cappuccino and Cordelia


For years when trapped in a nine-to-five job, I dreamed of being able to write full time. In my fantasies, I would break from my computer (the writing always went smoothly in my fantasy) to lunch or have coffee with other writers in some café and we would talk about our work.
Now my fantasies have become reality with perhaps the exception of the writing always going well. Over the past two days, I have met two writers in cafés and we’ve talked about our work.
However, in my fantasy, Cordelia, the large dog of my writer friend didn’t exist. Still she is a loving addition to our conversations.

Not all our conversation on Friday involved writing. Much had to do with coffee quality and the great waitress. Besides offering a welcoming atmosphere, this village café has cups whose creative shapes add to creative conversations. In Manora’s dish department I saw the same New Wave pattern, but not white. Instead it had famous writers on it. Of course, I didn’t buy it, owning it forever in my memory, like the conversations on a day where the sun and clouds alternated, and the dog was sweet.

No comments: