Friday, March 30, 2007

The chair is back

For years the area in front of the UN in Geneva was patchy grass, but for at least ten years there was a two-story three legged-chair. See photo: http://daveey.netapt.com/photos/europe/geneva

I could always imagine Edith Ann (Lily Tomlin) sitting there and saying, “That’s the truth.”

The chair’s missing leg symbolizes human legs lost in land mines. The chair was supposed to stand until every country signed the treaty. 138 countries have signed (but not the US).

The UN removed the chair while it turned the grubby land into a cement landscape. Ugly got uglier.

I haven’t been by for a long time. I used the number 3 bus instead of the number 5 when I went to Grand Saconnex where I used to live and when I went to my office, I was a block away. However, today late for a doctor’s appointment in my old apartment complex the number 5 came first taking me by the UN

Voilà…the ugly space had been replaced with a series of fountains and in the middle the chair is back.

Some people think the chair is ugly, but then landmines are ugly…and that’s the truth.

No comments: