Monday, January 08, 2007

Why I am afraid

We read about the Greatest Generation, we read the history of WWII but Gladys Arnold in her book One Woman’s War gives a first person account of the Germans entering France, the Vichy, escaping to London then home to Canada where she worked with the Free French.

Her history brought home facts little known. When the Free French took over two small Islands near Canada occupied by the Vichy, held and election and 98% of the citizens recognized the new French government, the U.S. Secretary Cordell Hull was besides himself because the US recognized the Vichy as the legitimate government of France.

Likewise when the Vichy ship Richelieu docked at New York, a majority of the crew disembarked to join the Free French almost causing an international incident. The men were hustled to Canada before their intentions could be known.

Although I had read a lot of WWII history, I had never realised that we did not give full support to the Free French rather than the illegitimate puppet government of France.

Arnold also gives a fascinating description of fascism.

"Everyone could understand communism, we thought. Hundreds of books have been written and its exponents were only too glad to talk about it. But fascism was more subtle, more difficult to pin down. It came in ways the majority of people did not recognize until too late. It was not the ism of the poor. It was the worm that could enter the heart of the wealthy, industrialized nations where bread, shelter and overcoats for everyone was take for granted. It led to dictatorship, and the dictator was usually the tool of a small, power group, representing the top economic and military echelons of society.”

When I say America has moved closer and closer to fascism since the turn of the century, people look at me as if I have two heads, but combing Arnold with the 14 definitions of a fascist society I see that the US meets 13 of the criteria.

  1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
  2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
  3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
  4. Supremacy of the Military
  5. Rampant Sexism
  6. Controlled Mass Media
  7. Obsession with National Security
  8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
  9. Corporate Power is Protected
  10. Labor Power is Suppressed
  11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
  12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
  13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
  14. Fraudulent Elections

And I am afraid.

5 comments:

bb said...

Good list, but I have some qualms. It seems skewered toward modern US. Some of those issues would not have been recognizable in the past. However, apprehension aside, lets assume the list is correct - and I should note I consider myself critical of the US - I stil don't think the US meets 13/14 criteria.

DL NELSON said...

Hi Blair...
Nice to see you here...
Fraudulent elections: Florida including the last congressional election in the Sarasota area with 18,000 under counts, Ohio, voting machines without paper trail...
Halliburton making billions, no bid contracts, etc.
Robert Kennedy put out an extensive and documented report on the problems with Ohio and there is also the congressional hearing prior to the acceptance of the 2004 acceptance of the electoral college results.
I stand by 13 and 14

bb said...

My bad. I meant I disagree that the gov't meets 13 of 14 points. Bad lazy internet typing. #5 is unclear and how it is meant to apply to modern life. Other points just lean to much on conspiracy rather than fact. I am no friend of GWB but I do hold certain conservative tendencies (Forgive me! I'm from Alberta!). One being never to blame on maliciousness what can be blamed on incopetance. This saying has served me well.

I would get more into the voting stuff but this box is small!!

bb said...

oh and number 11 too, about the arts, I strongly disagree with.

DL NELSON said...

The put down of intellectuals and by extension, the arts, was evident when both Kerry and Dean were mocked for their activities that match those of intellectuals. Kerry's French ability was considered a disadvantage. Made him suspicious.

We spend very little on supporting the arts compared to European countries. The music and publishing industry is dominated by a limited number of corporations that determine the guidelines.

I stand by 13 and 14 in many states where the electronic machines are vunerable to tampering. I will feel better when we have a paper trail.