Saturday, January 06, 2007

Galette-rois

The boulangerie case had was filled with frangipane http://www.recette-dessert.com/galette-rois-frangipane-r262.htm of all sizes. Since it was just going to be just Barbara and me eating the round, flat slightly almondy pastry, I chose the smallest one.

After our chicken from the man down the street, I cut it in half. Since there were no small children to say who got one which piece, she selected her own.

The fava bean was in hers. Mine had the little ceramic figure, two mice, with the French words for “the lovers” in tiny French letters.

We each wore the crown for a few minutes. She confessed that she still had her ceramic figure from when she got the figure last year. In Geneva, I had the King. I told her I kept mine. As a person who throws out everything, I feel the need to slip them into my change bank. I have no idea why. It is all part of the celebration of the Three Kings Day.

No comments: