Friday, November 17, 2006

Penguins

Caran D’Arche, the Swiss colored pencil maker, always has an animated window at Cornavin, the Geneva train station. Usually polar bears or teddy bears frolic, paint pictures with the product or live some other adventure. This time a number of penguins row a boat in tandem.

Years ago, as a joke I sent penguin anythings from Boston to my Florida uncle. Friends helped me find interesting drawings and knick knacks. Somehow others seeing these things thought I collected penguins so they began giving me penguins things as well.

I developed a respectable collection, so much so that the little girl down the hall when I lived in Grand Sacconex would bring her friends in to see it.

My daughter, as part of our Christmas tradition, always includes one penguin gift, taxing even her good imagination. Thus I am sitting here typing wearing a sweater with a penguin on the back. I have used her penguin salt and pepper shakers, worn her penguin night gown, put penguin decorations on the tree, etc. Ebay has been a blessing to make her chore easier.

Fortunately she lives in Virginia. She might be tempted to kidnap the penguins in the window.

No comments: