Friday, September 01, 2006

Two wrongs don't make a right or peace

During the 1967 Israeli war I was going on vacation to Syracuse with my future ex-husband and praying that Israel would survive as the radio broadcast the latest news. I had just graduated from university. Three weeks later while student teaching there was a Palestinian who spoke to the group of teenagers telling about the problems in her country and I saw another side to the story. At that point in my life, I was still naïve enough to think in terms of many sides.

Then living in Geneva I met many Palestinians and listening to their stories and that made me less and less pro Israeli.

Almost forty years later violence has solved nothing.

Today I watched on the news the plight of the Palestinians who are being subjected to terrible conditions by the Israelis and all I could think of was the early days of the Warsaw ghetto, with this time the Israelis being the oppressor. Doing unto others what was done unto you was all I could think of.

Killing, bombing, depriving people of a decent life will never solve the problem, no matter who is doing it.

No comments: