Sunday, September 17, 2006

The copier and the birthday party

I went to a birthday party for my favorite little boy because someone in Holland bought a copier in 1990. It shows how a simple action can change or create lives

  • Because RB2 was living in Holland and wanted to test his new copier he copied an International Herald Tribune Ad.
  • Because he read the ad he applied for the job.
  • Because he got the job he moved to Switzerland where he moved into the company flat.
  • Because I lived in the company flat too we became friends.
  • Because we became friends I introduced him to Argelès.
  • Because he went to Argelès he fell in love with it.
  • Because he loved the village he bought a house.
  • Because he bought the house he met and fell in love with the girl next door.
  • Because he fell in love with the girl next door he married her and they had a son.

Now that little boy is six and I enjoyed his family birthday party. As usual there were four languages, English, French, Spanish and Dutch and the boy thanked everyone for his presents in their own language. Even my daughter is grateful for that copier because she feels that the copier and the resulting birth fulfilled whatever grandmotherly urges might be floating in my system. And the copier? Long since consigned to the junk heap.

No comments: