Friday, August 18, 2006

Toby Toes Cried

“Toby-Toes cried,” my friend Barbara said.

In the year since this delightful baby has been born, we’ve seen him sleep, laugh and watch the world go by from his pram and high chair that are as much a part of La Noisette Café as are the tea pots and English breakfasts. But crying? That’s not Toby Toes.

The owners and parents, Frank and Louise take turns caring for him in the afternoons. They feel not only does it socialize the child, it allows both parents to spend more time with him then if he were in the crèche all day.

Thus Toby-Toes expects to be oohed and ahhed over by everyone he meets. I appreciate him because he thinks of me as a delightful comedienne. I produce deep belly laughs, when I cover his face with the cloth attached to his pacifier (or dummy as his English Mom calls it) and then remove it and say “coo coo” using the French greeting. He is being raised bi-lingual with his father speaking French to him. I am part of the English-speaking group except for coo coo games. Sadly, my other friends do not find me as funny as the baby does.

However Toby Toes had a reason for crying. Teeth are popping.

No comments: