Friday, July 07, 2006

Babel Street

Out my window as I write I hear the neighbors talking on the street. Because the houses are close together and have been since they were built in the 1500s give or take a few years there is a lot of calling back and forth. In less than five minutes I have heard the same people switch from Danish, German, French and English. I am not sure I could ever live in a one-culture society again.

I am amazed at how many people who when the list traits they want in a spouse now put bilingualism high on their lists.

When I was little I used to dream that I could speak many languages switching from one to another. I haven't acheived it, but I was pleased that I could understand what was being said in three of the fourth tongues I was listening to, although I have to admit, the German was simple, simple, simple.

No comments: