Sunday, June 11, 2006

Pigeon 1, Woman 1, Croissant crumbs 0

Breakfast at the café on a narrow road across from the church with tea, tartine and croissants.

A car starts up the road.

A pigeon jumps off the sidewalk and looks at the car and stops Tainmmen Square defiance in its body.

The woman can see the pigeon over the steering wheel and stops.

I take another bite of croissant, chew it and swallow followed by a sip of tea.

No movement from the opponents.

I finish my croissant.

The bird ruffles his wings and settles back down.

The woman inches forward, but she can still see the bird.

I butter my tartine and take a bite.

Slowly the bird turns and walks toward my table.

Laughing the woman drives on.

The bird pecks at crumbs from my croissant that have fallen to the ground.

No comments: