Thursday, April 27, 2006

Voting in Switzerland

Just got back from a Radical (centre right fiscal, centre left social) Party meeting to which all foreign voters were invited to introduce them to their party in particular. There are seven main political parties here.

In Swiss Romand (French speaking section) foreigners can vote in local but not Federal elections. We represent 33% of the canton and 48% of the city.

The speakers kept saying giving us the (foreigners) right to vote wasn't a gift, we are giving Switzerland a gift with our new ideas and contributions to the society and culture.

I am still hoping my last and hopefully final interview next month for my citizenship which will give me the right to vote at all levels. The right to vote is sacred, a viewpoint passed down to me not only from my family but from my Boston neighbour Kelley who made sure you voted each election or she wanted to know why and it better be good.

One man from Ethiopia who has been here since the 1960s stood up and said almost in tears that he has never had a chance to vote in his life and he was so appreciative of the right. He had tears running down his cheeks.

People died so I could vote. People died so I could live in a democracy. I owe them to take my responsibilities of keeping that democracy alive my vote.

No comments: