Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I miss Peggy et. al.

I miss Peggy, Jess, Katie and Bridget. I have lived with them for 15 months. They are the characters in my new novel Triple Deckers and they are as real to me as Barbara, Chitra, Julia, Susan, Marina, etc. I have watched Jess fall in love with a reporter, Katie try to loosen up over the alleged immoralities of her daughters. Mostly I miss Peggy who has survived the loss of her son in Iraq and moved beyond her self imposed limitations and Bridget who was one of those strong, strong women who fight for their families.

They have come to me in the middle night and have told me that they wanted to demonstrate at at Fort Bragg or sell their house. Bridget shared her concerns for her husband. Jess reminded me of what it means to fight for what you believe. They have sat on benches with me and warned me that if I wrote something a certain way, they wouldn't do it. With them I walked through my old Boston neighbourhood and didn't buy a house a Florida.

Now I have released their friendships to their new lives and I am going on with mine.

I need to fine tune my mysteries before I can start on a new novel although I’ve done some research for two. Since I will be in Geneva, I will probably work on the Geneva one.

In general I declared April a non-fiction writing month, although words still bounce in my head they are for my articles and my blogs.

Peggy and her family are moving further away from me as Liz, Jane, Diana and other characters that have shared my life, and it leaves me feeling sad and at loose ends

No comments: