Monday, March 27, 2006

Plastic bags

French grocery stores are no longer giving plastic bags. You can buy them, they write the date on them and when they wear out they replace them. Years ago people took their baskets shopping. Although it is a pain if you forget the bag, it is much more environmentally friendly.

The only problem is that I've used store plastic bags as my garbage bags. However, you can still get plastic bags for vegetables, but even then I used one bag for all rather than be wasteful. Once at the Co-op in Geneva the cashier explained to me I had to have one bag for all. I told her as the customer, I wasn't wasting plastic and the oil they are made from. In Swiss grocery stores they tend to package vegetable in quantities that aren't made for a small or one person family. When you can select the quantity, you weigh them and a sticker comes out with. I put several stickers on one bag.

I am not sure I am a throwback to my grandmother who used and reused everything or a throw through to the future when waste will once again not be possible for the human race.

No comments: