Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A dead duck and other musings

A dead duck found near the Jet d’Eau on Lake Geneva had Bird Flu. The disease has arrived officially in Switzerland. Near the news article was a report that the disease started in a bird farm where chickens were pushed together and never saw the light of day.

A man refused asylum in Switzerland because they didn’t believe he was in danger was sent back to his home country to be arrested. He is serving a nine-year jail term.

Gee, the US has attacked other countries, built a gulag, ignored international treaties, reheated the nuclear build ups by ignoring the nuclear non proliferation treaty, engaged in torture, spied on its own citizens and now wants to build a wall (to keep people out not in) between Mexico and the US. Doesn’t that sound a bit like the old Soviet Union?

Bush has had many bad ideas including running for president but the stupidest yet is to sell US ports to a company owned by the UAE. Meanwhile a British company wants ownership of a New England utility. I may be out of line here, but I really feel a country should keep its infrastructure in its own hands. Years ago I thought of writing a futuristic novel where there were no more countries, only corporations in as I pledge allegiance to IBM (or Microsoft, or GE). People laughed. Maybe I wasn’t so far off.

With all the bad news later today I will take a train to Zurich, meet up with my best buddy RB2 in Lausanne and we’ll go to see a Chris Rea concert. The world may be going to hell, but at least my friends aren’t.

No comments: