Friday, January 06, 2006

Tram Panic

On the way to Plain Palais the Tram made its normal stop at Stand right outside the restaurant La Truffe Noire where if I were easily embarrassed I would have died at a dinner several years ago. The owner showed me the box of truffles one of which would be included inmy meal and not knowing any better I touched one. However, he didn’t take my photo and I waited long enough to go back that he had forgotten me and my faux pas.

This time I wasn’t going to the restaurant but was on my way to see a friend and to drop into say bonjour to Florian’s son.

Suddenly there was a stampede out of the bus and instead of going straight ahead the tram turned left. A bomb? A man with a gun? All the headlines that routinely put us ill at ease flashed through my mind, but not as fast as my feet moved me out.

I asked everyone standing waiting at the stop what had happened. No one knew. There is nothing in this morning’s papers. One of life’s mysteries.

No comments: