Saturday, January 21, 2006

Mikado, the resaurant not the dog

My baked bean/cassoulet friend introduced me to a new Japanese restaurant in Paquis.

Paquis is Geneva's red light district, but without the raunchiness. There are playgrounds for children and a rich community as well.

One of the wonderful things about living in Geneva is that once again I have access to restaurants of all nationalities. In Paquis you can also find grocery stores of all nationalities in case you are tempted to cook your own international cuisines. Indian? Naturally. Thai? Obviously. Ethiopian? Not a problem. Balkan? Around the corner.

Mikado, which was also the name of my ill-fated Japanese chin, used to be only a take out and grocery store. They have added twelve tables and a three stand-up places as well as continuing their old business. The place is mobbed. The price is lower than the other Japanese restaurants I’ve found. They did over 34 covers in the 20 minutes I was there and I came late into the lunch hour. It is not a place where people linger during lunch hour, although when my bb/c friend and I were there later in the day, we were able to stay and chat. Although people were constantly coming in, there were spare places so we didn’t feel like hogs.

Security is knowing where to get your sushi fix

No comments: