Sunday, January 01, 2006

It's over

Quiet has descended on the small Parisian apartment where I spent the holidays. Everyone has gone: my hostess to the hospital where she has a 24-hour guard and as I write this I imagine my daughter at Charles de Gaulle waiting for the boarding call to take her back to Virginia.

Tomorrow I leave for Geneva where I have a full schedule of writing and catching up on unfinished business. Florian and I have social plans for the next few weeks.

The last few days have been like a continuous pajama party in this small apartment overlooking red tiled Parisian roofs. Although we did some sight-seeing and have had a couple of good meals in restaurants including my beloved Le Train Bleu and a favourite vegetarian restaurant, we also spent time in looking at the falling snow and watching movies. I finally saw Shrek I and our hostess was able to see both I and II. Llara "pulled a Robbert" and couldn't walk by the Virgin shop without looking over the DVDs and CDs.

Llara continued her tradition of coming to Europe for a good haircut, much more jet setty than she is in reality.

Time was suspended as we all escaped for a few days from our regular schedules that are too cram packed. In a way it is a renewal before we throw ourselves back into our lives where we aren’t able to sit and drink tea and coffee on the couch or in a café as we share the secrets of our lives.

The Christmas tree will be thrown out, the decorations put away, the days will grow longer. Life will begin again.

No comments: