Thursday, November 24, 2005

Honesty and Thanksgiving

It was mega stupid, I know. In a rush and seeing my bus through the bank window, instead of taking my newly withdrawn 100 CHF I grabbed my ATM card and ran leaving the money on the counter, not in the machine.

It’s only money, I consoled myself. I remember the time I found a 100 CHF note blowing on an empty street. It’s evened out. I even imagined the person finding my money going to a nice restaurant. No use crying over spilt money.

Today is Thanksgiving, one of the few times I am truly homesick. I’ve found no celebrations this year, not even ones costing the same as my first born child. I decided to console myself with a fondue at the Café du Soleil, but first I was going through all my Swiss paperwork before I go to Argelès for two weeks. I didn’t want to return so close to Christmas to have to deal with it.

I opened my bank statements (considering I have so many accounts I should be richer). There was a letter from UBS saying they had redeposited the 100 CHF I had left on the counter of the ATM machine.

Who ever found it could have as easily pocketed it. It could have been left by anyone. They didn’t. They went into the bank and explained how the previous customer had run out fast. It was easy to check the transaction.

If honesty of people isn’t a reason to give thanks in today’s cynical world, I don’t know what is. Okay maybe because the Bise has stopped blowing ...

No comments: