Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Déjà vu -- almost

Having spent the night with my friends in my old apartment complex I left the same time I would have had I been still working at my old job. I chatted with the concierge as before, admired the red bush over the big rock that I walked past for at least 2000 mornings.

The waiting area for the number 5 bus has been rebuilt and the bus now stops automatically, but other than that I saw the same people. There is a woman who I never saw smile in a decade. She works at the UN, is single and has a handicapped son. I would guess he is autistic, but it is only a guess. The woman who I used to meet when I walked my chins and she walked her chows as well on the bus was there. At the next stop, the older man with magazine-model perfect hair got on in his blue suit and with the black briefcase with the scratch.

The feeling of déjà view evaporated as we approached the UN. The three-legged chair symbolizing the damage of land mines that was supposed to stand until all nations signed the anti-mine treaty is gone. (Over 100 nations have signed but not the US). The area is being rebuilt. Some old houses have disappeared as a new WIPO building is being constructed. And the one remaining park in front of the ITU is being dug up for heaven knows what.

At the Varembé stop, my old stop I almost snuggled in my seat.

No comments: