Saturday, November 05, 2005

Cravings and memories

The craving for a cheese Whopper was too strong. I ducked into the Burger King near the train station just a few minutes late to miss a solid drenching.

No matter that I eat 90% vegetarian being careful to make sure I have 5-10 servings of vegetables and fruit a day. Nor have I had a longing for Whooper this strong since I was a pregnant with Llara. Then Whoppers dominated my thoughts daily, but the doctor warned my weight was spiralling towards 100 pounds.

Whoppers bring up memories. Susie, Llara and I went to Burger King in Waltham the night I bought my cute maroon Spitfire. There was a shelf in the back just right of my two-year old daughter, in the non-car-seat-for-tots era. We seated ourselves. Money was tight even before the car purchase and I watched Susan open a sugar packet and sprinkle it all over the French fries.

Whoppers bring up memories of Paddington Station as I travelled to Glamorgan where I was studying for my creative writing degree. I had just enough time to grab one and get on the train. Likewise at Luton airport when I fly Easy Jet, the Burger King is outside the waiting area. Since easy Jet doesn’t process you through in advance, you can’t go in and use one of the restaurants there.

Leaving Burger King. I had another craving. Pop Tarts. I went to the American store and paid $9 for a box of chocolate Pop Tarts.

Tomorrow I will go back to healthy eating without a pang of regret for giving in to a craving. I will never be on my death bed wishing on a rainy November day I had a Whopper or a Pop Tart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well tats good......craving and temptations are very strong....diff to ignore....