Monday, October 17, 2005

Apple Pie without country and motherhood

Crisco makes the best pie crust. Tarte des pommes may be wonderful but it isn’t a good New England apple pie. The other is true. When I was in Geneva two weeks ago I paid an exorbitant amount for a tiny can of Crisco (the price is only slightly less than that for my first and only born child) at the American Store. Today I made the pie and shared it with Barbara who gets apple pie cravings too and Marina the young Catalan woman who we are helping with English. Usually we meet at Franck’s but he closes on Monday. I made a pot of real tea, where you hot the pot, before putting the tea in.

Christina stopped by to have me look at some publicity material and resisted the pie until she sat next to it. Her conversation added another accent to help tune Marina’s ear.
Even now, close to bedtime, the smell of cinnamon lingers in the air

No comments: