Sunday, September 11, 2005

Viva la transportation publique

My ticket to Geneva later in the month cost only 36 Euros (under $45) less than a taxi ride across the city of Geneva. Because I have an annual subscription at 40 Euros, it is half price. The miles were credited toward my frequent rider (three trips and I qualify for a free ticket). The price is less than 50% of the tolls if I were to drive and we won’t even discuss the price of gas. Had I planned to leave later than 7:39 it would have been a little more expensive, but still affordable and I could chose between several trains.

In Switzerland I have a three year “abonnement” that reduces all my travel by 50% on trains and boats. It costs 350 CHF and I usually get my money back in a year or less. There is a smaller reduction for the buses that are frequent and get me all over the city. As for the trains they depart almost every hour to everyplace. There are other “abonnements” for the bus and my monthly rate just dropped over 30 CHF because of my age. The “abonnements” usually pay for themselves within two weeks and I don’t have to dig in pockets for change.

When people ask me how I can live without a car, I wonder how people can put up with the annoyance of a car.

I have to admit that I do use Barbara’s car, although I hate having to need a car. This week I wanted to drive Marina to the Perpignan train station. First the gas gauge didn’t work. I drove around the tiny streets -- not wide enough for a large car -- of Argelés to Barbara’s to ask how to open the “*ç%&/( gas cap. Barbara gave me the key.

Although the gauge worked this time, I decided to put some gas in anyway as a precaution. When I pulled into a station, I needed to call Barbara to check what kind of gas the car took. As I put it in the hole, it ran out behind the tire. We called a taxi for Marina and I waited for the mechanic to come back from lunch. He scooched down and looked to see that the hose leading to the gas tank had become disconnected.

The biggest disadvantages of driving that never happen on public transportation is getting lost and not being able to sleep and read.

Viva la transportation publique.

No comments: