Sunday, July 10, 2005

The face in the pan

Sven, Winde and Barbara came to lunch. We were engaged in our usual conversations over dahl and basmati rice when Sven looked up at my fry pan hanging from a beam. “There’s a woman face in it.”

Closer observation showed he was indeed right.

“We’ll say it’s the Virgin Mary and I’ll sell it on Ebay,” I said.

“No, no, charge a 10 Euro admission,” Winde suggested. “She is about to start her own business and thought an ongoing source of income might be better than a one-time payment.

We even decided that she should touch it and claim her sore back was healed. She said she could pretend to be a stranger, which in a village this small is hard to do.

By the time I dished out the strawberry dessert, I decided to just keep the fry pan where it was. I can always contact Ebay if things get rough.

No comments: