Sunday, June 05, 2005

Buying a Milk Frother

I went shopping. Yup me. Shopping. By choice. I went to the Geneva branch of the Manora Department Store, fourth floor, household goods to buy a milk frother.

It was identical to the one I had given a cappuccino-loving friend. Like most Americans, he found more than one use for it. It was also great to make salad dressings.

Not to brag too much, but I am renown for my salads. Whenever there’s a pot luck (or Canadian supper as pot lucks are called here) and I offer to bring a pie, vegetables, etc., people always say, “but your salads are so good. Can you bring that?” Now I know I also make good pies, vegetables, etc. so it is not a fear of my other dishes that makes them ask for salad. My not-so-secret secret is in the dressings, never store bought, but made with the freshest of oils, herbs, soy, seeds, whatever, whisked and whisked and whisked…

For the last artichoke I cooked I made my usual vinaigrette, but the emulsion just wasn’t smooth enough. I gave in. After all, thinking about a 19.50 CHF purchase for eight months isn’t exactly an impulse buy.

The device, which is about ten inches long, met my three criteria.

1. Does it give me energy?
Yes. I will enjoy using it.

2. Is it beautiful?
Yes. It is gracefully shaped, silver, and the little whip at the bottom looks like a
Euro-sized slinky in a circle.

3. Is it useful?
Yes. Considering I make salad dressing for almost every meal.

Later that evening I was having dinner with a friend and I told her about it. She knows how much I despise adding anything to my place that isn’t 892% necessary under my three criteria.

“I bet you are going to put it in the basket over the sink,” she said.

She was right.

No comments: