Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Rainy Day and Tuesdays Don't Get Me Down

The pounding of the rain on my wooden cathedral ceiling woke me. Rolling over I could barely see the red tiled roofs across the street. Sheeting rain looked as if I had hung sheer curtains on the outside of the window.

Years of going out to work in bad weather when I wished I could stay inside were forgotten. I wore my sweats, read, did needlework, wrote and even played a couple of computer games. Thunder and lightning came and went. The wind blew down the chimney. A wire danced.

It was necessary to turn on the heat to take the chill off later in the day. My heater is on my wall and is also an air-conditioner. Its 3x6x.5 feet. Its manufacturer has a great ad with a mime and no sound. At the end the sign reads “Celebrating five years of silence.” After loud, blaring commercials, it makes me doubly glad I gave in to my daughter’s insistence I buy the unit. Of all the noise generated by computers the silence stood out.

Silently I shut the heater off, celebrating the day inside.

No comments: