Friday, January 28, 2005

Buying a TV

I did it. I broke down after 18 years and ordered a TV for Argelès. I have always had one In Switzerland and revelled in being able to watch French, Swiss, German, American and British channels, especially the news.

All my French appliances come from Groschens, an appliance store owned by two brothers. Although their products might be a little more expensive than the chains, when I have a problem they come. Not only that they didn’t laugh when they explained that the spin cycle on my washer wasn’t broken – all I had to do was to push the spin button. When they installed my air conditioner/heater I had pulled a muscle in my back, and they added getting me things I needed to their service list.

This time their technician took a great deal of time to explain the ins and outs of French TV, which stations were free, which had to be paid for. He needed to check my roof, and wasn’t sure if I really meant yes, he could stand on my table to look through the skylight. Even then he couldn’t reach, so we placed a chair on top of the table. He found this hysterical, but said he would bring a ladder when he did the installation.

Originally, I had been planning to buy a little portable, no more than 12 inches. I don't want a TV to dominate my living space much less my tiny studio. (All my appliances are mini and are more than enough.) He suggested a flat screen. When I went into the store, the first one I looked at was much too big, but we went through the catalogue and found a tiny, inconspicuous small screen. I selected my stations.

Now when I am in Argelès, I will once again have the BBC. I will be able to watch Tim Sebastian ask really hard questions of his guests on Hardtalk. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/hardtalk/default.stm

I’ll never miss another appearance of Garou. www.garouland.com

I won’t have to rely on the transcript of Meet the Press even though I wish Tim Russert was much more like Tim Sebastian.

The technician said he could install it next week. I said wait until I return from Geneva in April. After 18 years a couple of months more isn’t important. I didn’t have the full 30% deposit on me, and said, I would come back. “Don’t worry about it, we know you. Pay us at delivery,” the owner’s wife said. Now that wouldn’t happen in a chain.

No comments: