Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The disappearing faucet handle

Where have all the faucets gone
Long time washing
Where have all the faucets gone
From a long time ago

With apologies to Peter, Paul and Mary. One of the things I have noticed in my visit to my home country is that all the handles on faucets in public restrooms have seemed to disappear. They are replaced by electric eyes that turn water on when you figure out what the right action is. At a movie theatre I tried various movements that might have resembled a disco dancer until I read the sign, "cup hands four inches away from the spout and hold for several seconds." It worked.

I also have noted that toilets now flush automatically.

I suppose this stops people from leaving water running and toilets clogged.

Toilet and washing habits vary. In Syria (and other Arab countries) most people feel sitting on toilets is unclean. You squat over a ceramic hole. You then have a hose to wash yourself and a single piece of paper to pat yourself dry and dispose of in a basket, therefore not clogging the drainage system.

Not that Europe is backward in toilet/water habits, before, during and afternoon nature calls.

Some French porta potties after you leave, lock and completely wash everything: walls, ceilings, sink, toilet. My girlfriend didn’t realize that you needed to shut the door and wait. As I left the toilet she grabbed the door and went in. As soon as the door closed the washing procedure began and her husband and I listened to her screams. She emerged. Quite sanitary.

No comments: